Aberdeen lose 2-0 to Hibs to pile more misery on McInnes: Reaction

Hibernian 2-0 Aberdeen

Aberdeen lost to Hibernian 2-0 to lose further ground in the fight for third.

Two goals from Martin Boyle in either half were enough to give Hibs their third win on the bounce and only the Edinburgh side’s second win over Aberdeen in the last eleven meetings.

The result means Aberdeen’s game in hand on the Hibees is not enough to propel them back to third with Jack Ross’ side now five points clear of the Dons.

If reports are to be believed in the media, a loss today could spell the end of Derek McInnes’ eight year reign at Pittodrie.

So far 2021 has been as miserable for Aberdeen FC as the weather. The Dons have only picked up six points out of twenty-four on offer and scored four goals, having not found the net on five occasions.

Derek McInnes speaking to BBC Scotland: “I am fine with pressure. I concentrate on the pressure to get myself and the team to win. We have been used to winning here over a period of time and we have been used to having strong campaigns. At the minute we are going through a tough spell and I think it is better we stick together and work our way through it, but pressure is there for managers. You don’t sign up to be a manager, specially Aberdeen manager, if you can’t handle pressure. I am absolutely fine.”
Jack Ross speaking to BBC Scotland: “I thought we were excellent. I mentioned before the game about doing the basics well and I thought we were excellent in that respect. Our work-rate, commitment and how we defended the box. I thought we showed a lot of quality.”

Derek McInnes has been at the helm at Aberdeen for eight years

More articles:
Hedges out for the season: Details

Jan Transfer Window Review: Aberdeen Revitalise Striking Department With Youth And Hunger
Inquest: Can McInnes Reinvigorate Aberdeen
Scotland Beat England At Twickenham In Their Opening Round Of Six Nations 2021: Match Report

Match summary: Boyle v Lewis

Joe Lewis very much made up for his error against Livingston on Tuesday night.

The Dons captain was one of the players who could hold his head high after the performance at Easter Road.

Lewis made three crucial saves against Martin Boyle including a one-on-one in the opening minutes after Greg Leigh miss hit a back pass.

Leigh had to be substituted after the incident, making way for Connor McLennan with under five minutes played.

Lewis couldn’t deny Boyle when referee Willy Collum pointed to the penalty spot midway through the first half after Lewis Ferguson was deemed to have fouled Jamie Murphy in the box.

Boyle got his second midway through the second half after being slipped through by substitute Lewis Stevenson.

Fraser Hornby started his second match for Aberdeen after joining on loan from Reims in the January window and almost got on the score sheet with a header that came back off the cross bar with 15’ to play.

Callum Hendry, a new acquisition from St Johnstone, made his second appearance for the Dons from the bench, being subbed on for sub Connor McLennan.

More Sport

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s